Saturday, October 20, 2007

FROM THE PUBLISHER: Welcome to GoodFluff


GF is up and running . . . fulfilling a dream of years to publish something a little different. I regularly visit Google News, CNN, Fox, Yahoo, etc., and pretty much find the same stories covered and sometimes – even – the exact same story!

Why?

Because the people who put together “the news" are all swimming in the same media soup. At room temperature. With the same bland seasoning. I wanted something different, along the lines of lagniappe, that great southern Louisiana word that (roughly translated) means “a little bonus” or "an extra or unexpected gift or benefit."

And so I surf. In different waters. Looking for that something extra . . .

Now, mind you, since I have no budget, no staff, no secretary, no go-fers, I must rely on free news. Most of it PR stuff – what we used to call “fluff” back in the day. But it’s good fluff . . . hence the name.

So, you’ll see some stories here that you might not find along the mass-trodden path of ABC, NBC, CBS – stories like:

* Harley-Davidson Museum Rolls Out Holiday Gift

* Taxpayer Funding for Hippie Museum Defeated

* Bride-to-Be Receives Kidney Donated by Fiancee

* Eco-Bags Products Green Gifts for the Entire Family

Now, admittedly, these are not Pulitzer material. Nor will they change the world. But they are stories that caught my eye. And, by the way, I mean that literally. I don’t use spiders or bots or tech-no filtered aggregators. It’s just me. And my mug of coffee (if it’s in the morning) or glass of vino (at night). That and my bi-focaled eyes scanning the screen of my old trusty iMac. And my crusty old fingers and thumbs click-clacking on a keyboard stained with chocolate and covered with cat hair from my feline friend Kit-Kat. With songs like “Gimme Shelter” playing in the background.

Well, that’s about it – for now. I’ll jump in periodically and say “Hello” or some such thing.

In the meantime, keep in touch. If you like something, leave a comment. If you don’t, leave one anyway. It will reinforce the fact that I actually exist in this digitized, pixilated, inter-linked and hyper-connected cyber-whirl. Otherwise, I’ll be just a self-deluded, keyboard-striking guy who thinks somebody might actually read this stuff . . .

LD on 10-20-07

PS: Since I work for a living (racking up long hours & long days) this thing is updated when I can still see straight and my wife is watching something like “Desperate Housewives” and doesn’t mind me slinking away to the backroom.

No comments: